Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959) for Browne's Bookstore windows, pair Chicago, Illinois, 1908 (demolished) leaded glass, oak overall: 18"w x 1 3/4"d x 29 1/2"h; each window: 15"w x 27"h
Catalog Note: Browne's Bookstore opened in downtown Chicago's Fine Arts Building at 410 South Michigan Avenue in 1908. Frank Lloyd Wright was contracted to renovate the interior and so he added tables and chairs for reading, padded benches, a children's area, and beautiful smoked glass windows to conceal the building's original double-hung exterior window sash. The pair presented here was almost certainly installed in the clerestory and filtered light into the store from electric lights located within a public corridor. Given Wright's signature stained wood finish, these windows can be assumed to have faced into the retail space. In 1910, the bookstore relocated to the ground floor of the Fine Arts Building, and the original interior was redecorated in 1912.